Construction began in 1787 as a directive of George Washington and was first lit on January 10, 1791.
Today the grounds and keeper's house are owned by the town of Cape Elizabeth. It is the oldest headlight still in use today and the Portland Head Light is the most photographed light house in Maine.
|A view of Portland,Maine off in the distance.|
|The fort at Fort Williams Park.|
|This light house is nearby and only comes on at dusk.|
|One of the many lobster boats we saw.|
|A "chip truck"...we had yummy sandwiches. Fresh tomato, basil, and mozzarella on toasted sour dough with vinegarette and Cape Cod chips.|
|Mary Ellen and Jim taking in the view.|
|A gun battery at Fort Williams Park. The park is really pretty and well kept. It was a beautiful day...breezy, high 70s and partly sunny. Another great day in Maine with our friends!|