Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Hello Spring!

Tucson/Lazydays KOA
Tucson, AZ
March 19, 2014

Spring doesn't officially begin until tomorrow, but don't tell the birds and wildflowers.


We took a four mile hike mid-morning in the Sabino Canyon Recreational Area...this time on the Bear Canyon trail.


Desert Chicory

I actually think the under side of the desert chicory is quite pretty too.

We enjoyed this pair of black-throated Sparrows for awhile.


We didn't see their nest, but he was sure busy!


These are tiny little hedgehog cactus...called strawberry hedgehog. They only grow to about 3.5 inches tall.


The saguaro buds we saw just the other day are about ready to burst open.



But, this was the highlight of the morning...this pair of Cactus Wrens.


This little beauty of a bird is the largest wren in North America according to www.allaboutbirds.com. It is a true bird of the desert and can survive without freestanding water.




We aren't sure...is this a baby prairie dog?


Happy spring everyone! Until next, take care and...

enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. Hi Gay, I could be wrong, but I think the pair you saw today building their nest are black-throated Sparrows. Looks like you had another beautiful day hiking in the desert! How fun!! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila....i am so new at this and thankful for "bird" friends like you and Judy. The desert will be in full bloom soon...it's so pretty!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Sheila, looks like black-throated sparrows to me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy...this bird identifying is hard to do sometimes. I do appreciate your helping me out!

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure what it is but I love the birds, the critters and the blooming cactus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its about to get really pretty here Wanderin'. We sure are enjoying our desert walks!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Gay, what gorgeous photos! You really got some beautiful closeups:) I can't believe the saguaro are blooming already! I hope they open so you can take lots of photos for us.

    Sure does look like a prairie dog!

    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam...its been really warm here for awhile so I think the saguaros are budding/ blooming earlier than they usually do. We don't leave until April 4th so I hope to get lots of pictures...they are magnificent to say he least!

      Delete
  5. There is nothing better than spring in the desert and you have captured it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just loving springtime here in the desert, more great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the desert when it's in bloom. My allergies don't appreciate it but boy my eyes sure do. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures! Most people don't realize how many flowers you can find in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no clue until last year Joan.....there are so many I can't find them all to name them! It's so much fun looking and researching.

      Delete
  9. Wow! What gorgeous flowers photos! I hope you share one of the saguaro flower when it opens all the way. I don't think I've even seen one before. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda! I will for sure! I just love spring!

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing. I am so ready to leave this congested area & get off the beaten path for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spring is here! Yeah. Love all your gorgeous pictures. I can't wait to see blooming saguaros.

    ReplyDelete