Saturday, July 19, 2014

Saturday Morning

Garden of the Gods RV Resort
Colorado Springs, CO
July 19, 2014

Old Colorado City is a national historic district in Colorado Springs. It was founded in 1859. The name Colorado was chosen because the goldmines of the Blue River were at the headwaters of the Colorado River. At the time, this area was still part of the Kansas Territory ( Colorado was granted statehood in 1876.). Gold mine business was slow in the 1860s so commerce shifted towards serving the agricultural needs of Colorado's eastern plains. It wasn't until 1891, when a major gold strike was made in Cripple Creek, that Colorado City had its big boom. In 1917, Colorado City was incorporated into Colorado Springs.

Today, turn of the century brick buildings, quaint alleyways, and a rustic territorial charm provide the setting for boutiques, galleries, and restaurants. Of course it doesn't hurt to have Pikes Peak as a backdrop either.  

Saturdays and Farmer's Markets just seem to go together. The Old Colorado City market has been taking place in these streets for over 20 years. I was surprised at how big it was. I read there are 24 full time vendors and numerous temporary booths each week.
 
Have you ever seen or tasted a purple bell pepper? I haven't!
purple bell peppers
  
Local farmers provide fresh produce... sweet corn, squash, cantaloupe,  beets, onions, pickling cucumbers and much more.

One thing that really appeals to me at these markets is the colors...so vivid and such a variety.

Local food vendors provide a variety of options too...pies, breads, cheese, pastas, honey and sauces. The pasta vendor was so busy, I couldn't get a picture. I have never seen so many different kinds and shapes of homemade pastas.
 

 


 And this Georgia girl was tickled pink (or maybe that should be peachy)  to see this sign...


Yep, got me a bag full of some sweet smelling peaches. They are juicy, ripe and quite tasty too! I enjoyed every bite of the two I have already eaten.

Our morning ended at Bon Ton's Café (in Old Colorado City) where "it is breakfast all day on a cute patio with lunch options too, daily 6 am to 3 pm." 
 

Bon Ton's Cafe
Joe says he enjoyed the best chicken fried steak and gravy ever!

Our weather this past week has been a mix of sunshine, cool days, warmer days, really bad (as in severe) thunderstorms, hail, and even some strong winds. My attempt to photograph the hail bouncing off Pearl didn't turn out. There was a lot of it, but luckily it was small and we had no damage. 
I was glued to the window when the winds came thru. We are under giant, humongous cotton wood trees!  Thank goodness there was no "oops" then either!


Thanks for stopping by.  So until next time,
 
One of the many murals in Old Colorado City
 
happy trails!

18 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous header photo of the purple columbine! I could almost taste and smell the vegies and fruit in your photos. Great job capturing the bounty of the farmer's market in Colorado Springs. I am a market groupie and this one looks quite promising.

    Boy Vic would sure have loved the chicken fried steak--not something I ever make but if it is on the menu and looks homemade, he always has to try it.

    Sure glad the stormy weather didn't cause any damage. We never have been in hail in the motorhome. It would definitely make me nervous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am a market groupie too Pam...
      It's funny, but we don't cook the chicken fried steak either. Way too messy! Joe always has to try it!

      Delete
  2. Howard and I enjoyed a peach today. I have no idea where it came from. Years ago we picked Peaches in Delta, Colorado ( if I remember right). It was an experience and fun! Glad you are enjoying your stay in Colorado! Yours photos are wonderful and show the vivid colors of summer! Glad you didn't have any damage from the storm(s). I know they can be bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I cant begin to express how much I have enjoyed the colors of summer here Sheila...whether on a trail or at the market or just waking down the street. Colorful Colorado is sure a great name for this beautiful state!

      Delete
  3. Love farmers markets, so much fun.
    Perfect time of year and produce is being harvested.
    Gotta watch those cottonwood trees, they can be brutal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know George...they provide so much shade on a warm sunny day but when those big branches start swaying in the wind, I get a wee bit nervous!

      Delete
  4. I too love visiting local farm markets. Love the colors, the smells & the friendly camaraderie. Colorado Springs looks like a pleasant little town. I like the mural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't been thru here Gayle, this is the perfect time to visit.

      Delete
  5. We are very familiar with Old Colorado City….fun place to wander and eat. If you noticed the miner and his mule statue at the intersection down the road, P's uncle had a role in having it done and his name is on the plaque. That's our only brush with celebrity. Enjoy that beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my goodness Sue...I have to get a photo. We have ridden by the statue many times in the past few weeks and each time it catches my eye. Every time there is way too much traffic to get a picture. Now I have to try harder! Hope to see you soon!

      Delete
  6. Palisade Peaches are the best…so juicy :)
    mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juicy they are Mark! You may have just won this Georgia girl over. If I am ever back in Georgia and get to Thomaston to pick peaches, I will send you some and let you compare.

      Delete
  7. You are making me drool with all those Farmer's Market photos! Isn't cooking and eating so much fun with all the cool colors! The west has the best Farmer's Markets.

    I did think of you when I saw video of the hail in your area. So glad all was all right with Pearl. Glad that tree stayed together:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Pam about the markets out here. There seems to be more "locally" grown produce and I do want to support the hard working farmers and families. Of course, I really enjoy the cheeses and breads too!

      Thanks for thinking of us!

      Delete
  8. I love the markets. We just don't seem to find enough of them. The produce is always so fresh and the fruit isn't picked when green. I wish we could find more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Jeri...we bought a cantaloupe and the farmer said it would be ready to cut tomorrow. Tomorrow is today...and it is just right and so sweet! I'm lovin' the peaches too!

      Delete
  9. I hope you tasted that spring green onions (purple) it is really good grilled or chopped added to your salad. Sweet and nutty! As always your captures are just great!, Gay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw dang...we did not try the onions MonaLiza....but now I know so next time for sure!

      Delete