Saturday, December 20, 2014

An Unlikely Pair?

Tucson/Lazydays KOA
Tucson, AZ
December 18, 2014

Those of you that have been following our blog for awhile already know that photographing nature is just about my most favorite thing to do. Hiking has not been apart of our daily/weekly routine for sometime now because of Joe's lack of energy and strength from his chemo. Something we intend to work on after a good bill of health...a great way to start the new year! Anyhow, I have been so at peace just sitting on the patio or taking walks with the pups around the park looking at everything and "playing" with the camera. Day before yesterday, when I returned from a lengthy walk with Sally and Dover (Sally and I are on a mission to loose a few pounds!) I heard a familiar sound...the hummingbirds. I glanced at the feeder and to my surprise there were 2 birds enjoying an afternoon snack. One was an Anna's Hummingbird. With camera in hand, I snapped away with hopes of capturing a picture I could use to help me identify the other one. I recently purchased The Sibley Guide to Birds, second edition as recommended by the bird lady of blogland...Judy Bell. I can easily "get lost" in that guide reading about all the birds so identifying a new bird which should have taken a few minutes, took about an hour. The bird in my photograph turned out to be a Verdin. Quite an interesting little bird.


After the identification was made, I was on the internet finding out all about this tiny grayish bird with the yellow face and reddish patch on the bend of his wings. The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum has a great web-site with an awesome description of many birds...including the Verdin. I learned from their info that he is not closely related to any other bird in the western hemisphere; they are second only to the hummingbirds as flower visitors, but insects are their main menu; and they build 2 nests...one for roosting and one for breeding. Judy (www.travels-with-emma.blogspot.com), who just posted about the Verdin she saw, had this to say... "They're quite acrobatic and don't sit still for long. Kind of reminded me of an Olympic athlete on a bar or a ring routine." Well, I cant top that!


Peek-a-boo!



Until next time, take care and...
happy tails...um I mean trails!

19 comments:

  1. I so enjoy yours and Judy's bird pictures. If I get one good bird picture a year, I'm over joyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandie...it's mostly by accident that I get a decent picture. And a lot of luck too!

      Delete
  2. That is such a neat looking little bird. Thank you for posting this. I think I'll put my feeder in hopes of attracting one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Allison. Thanks for visiting our blog! I bet if you do put your feeder out, you will have some birds real soon...especially a hummingbird feeder.

      Delete
  3. Oh, that first pic of the verdin is just wonderful! I got a couple more this evening of its antics in a creosote bush. Nice 'the end' photo. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy...that little Verdin was back today. He is so much fun to watch.

      Delete
  4. You have yourself some really great Hummer photos as well as the Verdin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Al...aren't they just so entertaining?

      Delete
  5. What super photos! You are becoming quite an expert at capturing those little guys. Good to hear you are keeping busy. You can get quite a good walking workout in that park since it is so large.

    Merry Christmas to you and Joe and all your four legged friends:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Merry Christmas to you and John. I know you will enjoy your visit with Jessica.
      You are right about this place being big with lots of streets to walk.

      Delete
  6. Just watching the bird antics is fascinating, great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute photos! I've learned that Verdin like halved oranges...poke an orange half on the end of a branch some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do it today...thanks Lisa. There are lots of oranges on the trees here begging to be picked!

      Delete
  8. I so enjoyed your wildlife captures, Gay. They are so gorgeous especially the birds and I enjoyed the tidbit about Verdin, which I still have to see.
    I still have to get out of our Betsy to snap some feathered friends but the weather has not been rosy around here since our arrival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MonaLisa. I sure hope the weather gets better soon...

      Delete
  9. I love the photographs you take of the birds. You really do an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all luck Jeri...I just snap away hoping a few decent pictures are taken. It's really fun to sit at the computer and sort they them. There are usually surprises too like the picture I got of the Hummingbird flying away. Now that was cool!

      Delete
  10. Gay, what an adorable bird and your photos are wonderful! I just wanted to wish you and Joe a joyful Christmas! May 2015 be the happiest and most adventuresome of your travels in retirement! Wishing you and Joe all the best!

    ReplyDelete