Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Ahhh...The Desert

Tucson/Lazydays KOA
Tucson, AZ
December 20, 2016

Tucson wasn't our first choice to spend the month of December, but it has turned out to a good spot for us.  The second cooling unit Jeff Fisher (Fisher's RV Repair) installed did the job and we have a fully stocked refrigerator once again.  Since we were here, Joe made a visit to the dermatologist.  Two biopsies were taken and both turned out to be positive. He now has a nice incision on his cheek...the 7th one his face and neck...and another one on the top of his left shoulder.  Stitches will come out on the 27th just in time for us to pull out and get to San Diego for the month of January.  Thats the plan today ! 

The weather has been perfect.  I have been longing to visit the desert and yesterday turned out to be the day.  Our choice for the morning was Sabino Canyon Recreation Area.  It's my favorite place to go in Tucson !  We meandered so I can't say we hiked, but man oh man did it feel good.  With camera in hand,  we oohed and ahhed for a few hours just soaking it all in.  I was so excited, I had to remind myself to breath.  
















 Black-throated Sparrows are beautiful little birds that forge the desert floor in groups.


 The deep blue and rusty color of the Western Bluebird makes for a nice contrast against all the greens and browns in the desert.  

And it's always fun to spot a Greater Roadrunner and be quick enough to snap a picture.  I will never forget the first Roadrunner I had the pleasure of photographing.  It was also at Sabino Canyon back in March 2014.  See the Featured Post (top right hand side of our blog page) to enjoy one of the most special photo shoots I have ever had. 



Of course it wasn't all about the birds.  The cacti were full of fruit,





the deer were playing hide and seek,
 and the backdrop was spectacular.



 Well, Joe just finished grilling salmon and I'm off to make a salad so that is all for now.  Until next time, let the good times roll !






 Happy Trails !

19 comments:

  1. I've got to admit choosing San Diego over Tucson would be easy for me too. I do like Tucson but San Diego is better. Enjoy them both while you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so looking forward to some beach time with the pups Jeri!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about Joe's skin problems. Hope they can be treated without cutting into you travels.
    Beautiful Pictures as usual.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick and Kathy. Stitches should come out just in time....yippee!

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh, my beloved desert:) I can hardly wait til February to get back. Thanks for sharing so many beautiful photos:) While I am not a bird person, I do like the Western Bluebird. Glad that Joe got things taken care of at the dermatologist. My mother seems to have something removed every visit and my sister is following that direction. I have darker skin (like my father) and haven't had a problem so far...knock on wood. It's interesting how everyone's skin is so different. Good the timing worked out for your time in San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no place quite like the desert Pam. It was love at first sight a few years ago!

      Delete
  4. Good luck with Joes issues and enjoy Sand diego we have enjoyed that area a few times. Love the cats and especially the roadrunners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love the desert too George and Susie. Fingers crossed Joe's stitches are out just in time....sure do want to see the ocean!

      Delete
  5. My cousin lived in Tucson, he introduced me to Sabino Canyon some time ago. I regret that he moved on and we have not returned. Thanks for sharing, better memories than the ones I recall.

    Joe - Take care, I hope to meet you both in SandyEggo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed the desert and we should have been there by now. But I am contented with your great teaser photos, Gay.
    Joe take care, hope you can fight this one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so pretty yesterday MonaLiza. We saw and heard so many birds. I thought of you several times during our walk.

      Delete
  7. Stitches on my back come out next week... same deal, raised in Arid-zona and too much fun in the sun :(.
    Oh well... take care to wear a hat and SPF 100 GREASE
    mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hats and sunscreen are part of the daily routine Mark. So glad regular check-ups and Mohs surgery catch these cells early!

      Delete
  8. Oh my, Joe must be tired of them cutting chunks out of his head! Fingers crossed this is the last time!

    I love roadrunners! While sitting outside the RV one day with Rosie, I had the pleasure of seeing one walk slowly right past us! An experience I'll never forget...as I'm sure you'll never forget that amazing long encounter you had in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is Lisa...in fact he calls himself Frankenstein! It could be so much worse though...


      Delete
  9. Spectacular!! I'm getting so excited to get back to the desert in a few weeks! Love those bright blue skies - and the cacti are soooo pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. February will be here before we know it.....yippee!

      Delete
  10. Love the wildlife & cacti photos. I never tire of viewing the variety of birds, as for the cacti, I have never seen them in bloom nor in fruit. So new to me.

    ReplyDelete