Sunday, July 30, 2023

The Silver Lining...

Corona de Tucson

July 30, 2023 

July 26 @ 6:54 pm

I have heard the phrase, "Every cloud has a silver lining" for as long as I can remember.  In 1853 American writer, Sarah Parton (who preferred her pseudonym Fanny Fern) was asked by the editor of Home Journal magazine to write a weekly motivational essay about the topics of the day.   She used the phrase in one of her weekly columns and it quickly gained public acceptance. Fern's writing career actually began in 1851 when her essays and articles were published in Boston newspapers.  She is said to be the first woman newspaper columnist in our country.  And if thats not a silver lining, by 1855, Fern was the highest paid columnist in the United States commanding $100 per week for her columns.  

I can hardly believe July is over.  It seems like the days run together and then when the week is done, I wonder where it went.  I used to think that the busier we were, the faster the days went by, but that doesn't hold true as we haven't been busy and the days still flew by !  

Our silver lining the past couple of weeks have been the amazing skies.  We went from hardly having any clouds in June to having lots of clouds to enjoy in July.

Monday afternoon and a rainbow...

Tuesday at sunset...

Wednesday at sunset...

Thursday evening light show...

Friday sunset...

Early morning walks are pleasant before the heat of the day.





And remember the field with all the beautiful huge prickly pear cactus that were blooming in the spring ?  


Their fruit this time of year is quite the show !

The early morning glow...



Back at the oasis, the birds continue to keep us busy and entertained.  








One morning, when I went out to water the bottlebrush trees in the front yard, the lantana was full of butterflies.  I don't have any idea what kind of butterfly these are, but they are quite hairy.


It's a fun challenge to capture these beautiful insects...tongues out, tongues curled, wings open, wings closed.  I never know until I put them on the computer what I captured...what a nice surprise I have sometimes.  


The post is never complete without the pups...

Jack's selfie...he was snuggled up close to my leg during coffee time on the patio.

Sally waits patiently while I start our supper before feeding her her supper...

Dover rarely gets in her bed anymore, but I found her there all curled up and sound asleep...

So, that wraps up our week and July.  The silver lining...finding the advantage that comes from an unpleasant situation.  It has been hot, but we hardly noticed!  Life is good and beautiful !  I'll close with a few random photos...

Hawks at sunset...


Prickly Pear fruit...such a vivid color in the morning sunlight.

I see you!

Sunrise...

Dover's idea of helping with the dishes...

Beautiful Desert Rose blooms...

Mom and Dad were trying hard to coax them off the wall.  The one squatting finally jumped, but the other one would not try...

Always on guard...

The silver lining...

Until next time,


HAPPY TRAILS !

The pictures...especially the birds...are much clearer if you click on them to view.

6 comments:

  1. Great photos from your oasis. I think your butterflies might be Pretty Lady, a relative of the Monarch. I really like the quail family calmly on the fence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff, thank you. Thanks for the ID on the butterfly. The quails are a favorite here…we always enjoy their visits. I’m wishing I had one of those fish tacos you enjoyed!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the lesson on "every cloud has a silver lining,"--very interesting! And you have had some gorgeous cloud days! That one bird is giving you the evil eye--"stop taking my photo lady!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Janna…we have had some wonderful storms! I often get the evil eye from the Cactus Wrens. They are so animated and noisy & we love watching their antics!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely stunning!! Love the line of Quail, looks like a family photo :-) Sally always looks like a puppy. They're all precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodee…thank you! I passed your very sweet compliment on to Sally. Those cute little quails are so cute and boy are they fast. I was quite pleased to capture that photo.

      Delete