Friday, September 17, 2021

Date Night

Corona de Tucson

September 17, 2021


Last Saturday was date night.  

The Southern Arizona Arts and Cultural Alliance sponsored a Rock N' Roll event in Sahaurita.  The outdoor event featured classic cars, food trucks, and a live band playing old rock and roll classics.  It was a "bring your own chairs" in a huge grassy park with plenty of social distancing kind of  affair.  We meandered the rows of cars admiring the shiny paint, custom interiors, and spotless chromed out engines.  We had planned on Mexican at Manuels (since we were close by) so we didn't eat, but the "dogs looked yummy.  The biggest surprise was the local Tucson band, ONESALL.  I love classic rock n roll and they were really, really awesome !  It felt good to be out and about...I love date night!












 


























Joe and I have spent most of the week in our closet.  It needed  help and some organizing.  Joe doesn't like to keep his clothes in drawers.  



So first on the list was for him to build shelves which I primed and painted.  








We painted the closet...Joe rolled and I cut in the trim around the ceiling and the floor moulding.  I also painted the floor moulding. 




Now, Joe can see his clothes and I can put them away on laundry day.  I totally get why Joe doesn't like drawers as I find myself rummaging thru the drawers I use in the dresser always looking for something that is on the bottom of the stack.  


We also added a wire shoe rack and voila...   

My next project should be to toss out some very worn-out tennis shoes that I have kept for you know...that time I might just need a pair of old worn out tennis shoes...duh?














I can hear the saw in the garage this morning.  Joe is making a small bench we can put in the closet to use for putting on or taking off socks and shoes.  Thumbs up !


If you have puppies, you have probably trained them to do or not to do certain things.  Our pups will sit for treats, come when they are called (well, Dover is having some trouble hearing us) and Jack will stay when playing ball.  But one thing we have had no success with is keeping them off the beds.  They don't just get on the bed, they paw at the bed to get all the covers just they way they think the covers should be.  


So, at my request (so I don't have to shut bedroom doors) Joe made short puppy gates that we can easily step over to keep the pups out.  They are not so happy, but I am.  













Imagine our surprise to see babies.  We were working in the garage when Joe spotted them.  It seems a little late in the year for babies, but there they were!











They are so tiny and well camouflaged...there were five.

Amazing nature...do you see all five?

Whenever I see them in the front yard, I run out to watch for cars to help them cross the street. I didn't get a focus as they are really fast !  

Headed down the driveway towards the street...


Sunrise today was about 6:10.  I snapped this photo at 5:52 when we let the pups out.  




Its overcast today with a good chance of thunderstorms this afternoon.  Monsoon season ends on September 30 in Tucson.  Here is some trivia for our family back east who have not been to the Sonoran Desert...with all the rain this season, the prickly pear have exploded with ruby red fruit.  The fruit is called "tuna".  It grows from the pad creating an "amazing edible crown" that is ready to harvest in September.  


(Photo from Google)

Tunas are used in a variety of foods like syrup, jelly and jam, gum drops, and lemonade.  Joe and I have not eaten prickly pear.        






Yesterday, we had errands which took us to Tucson.  We happened to pass a favorite fast food establishment at just the right time.  It wasn't really a planned lunch, but who knows, maybe it was ! I will always be indebted to my sister-in-law Jo who visited us many times to take care of Joe's (her) mom for us to take a needed "get away".  On one of those trips she asked, "Do you have a Five Guys in LaGrange?"  The answer was no.  It wasn't long after that we discovered one in Destin, Fl.  


The burgers are yummy, but it is the fries and malt vinegar that keep me returning !  Thank you JoEllen !


 






It's been a fun and productive week.  I have no idea what is on the agenda for next week, but I am really looking forward to it.  It's just so great to be alive !  I'll sign off for this week with a few pictures...

A '67 Camaro convertible...my favorite car in high school and my favorite car today !












Our first encounter with a tarantula on one of our morning walks this week.


Yes, the pups have their own beds...sweet dreams!










Ahhh...sweet tea !  












Sleepy and thirsty...taken at 6:00 am today !







Until next time, enjoy the day and...

Such a big step for such a little bird !







HAPPY TRAILS !

P.S. Joe works fast.  My stool for the closet.  Just needs a little sanding, stain and varnish. Thumbs up !


12 comments:

  1. I too like my clothes on shelves, may be a awesome guy thing! I do hang my Hawaiian shirts tho. What an awesome care show with great music, good times!
    At In-N-Out I order my burger as a Double-Double Animal Style (2 patties, 2 cheese, grilled onions) Bet Five Guys gas a secret menu too.
    Good for you keeping those chicks safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, it’s an awesome guy thing! Yes, button up shirts, jeans & his one pair of khaki pants are on hangers. Joe sometimes gets the double patty burger, but we always get all the fixings.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the perfect date night! Awesome work, Joe and Gay, on the closet, gate, and bench!! How nice to have a talented woodworker and painter assistant. The puppies look quite comfortable in their little beds:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read that my brother took my SIL on a date night--my husband is going to have to step up his game!! Your date night sounded lovely, especially the music! We too love Five Guys but will have to try the malt vinegar! Be careful stepping over those gates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Date nights are few & far between these days...definitely need to work on that! I LOVE old classic rock n roll. And I love to dance! We have music nights at home sometimes! 👍 The gates are only 14 inches tall. Joe “designed” them to fall over if our foot hits it which only happens sometimes when I’m wearing clunky tennis shoes...😬!

      Delete
  4. You "turned us on" to Five Guys and now we're hooked (or I should say Dave is hooked, I like the fries a lot but he's into the whole experience) We have trouble passing one and used to even take our own malt vinegar along til we discovered they have it there! Be careful on those little gates, they can snag a toe on the way over and then you're in for trouble! Sometimes we have to make unpopular rules and the pups don't look like they really appreciate their own beds - yours is so much bigger and higher and softer! Great car show - fun date night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you & Dave enjoy Five Guys too! The pups are old & spoiled...we all do the best we can around here.

      Delete
    2. old dogs should be spoiled! Hmmmm, old folks too maybe....

      Delete
  5. Our little desert house doesn't have a walk-in closet but it is a double closet with shelves in the middle and on both ends. I love having the open shelves for our t-shirts and pants. So easy to access and leaves hanging space for winter hoodies. Your babies are so tiny. Lucky them to have a crossing guard :-)) Your date night looks like a perfect time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed ! Open shelves are way better than drawers. Im trying to figure how I can have them too...

      Delete