Friday, March 14, 2014

My First (and Second) Roadrunner!

Tucson/Lazydays KOA
Tucson, AZ
March 13, 2014

Yesterday, Joe and I had ourselves a grand time outdoors. Our first choice for a hike was the shortest hike on our list in the Sabino Canyon Recreation Area. Blackett's Ridge is sandwiched between Sabino and Bear Canyon and is 6.2 miles round trip. I am saving that post as I was and still am so excited about seeing not only one, but two roadrunners yesterday...I could hardly wait to share!

Thanks to Pam (Oh, the Places They Go!) and MonaLiza (The Lowe's RV adventures) we are never lacking in great places to hike wherever we park...it seems they have already been there...thanks for sharing! Sabino Canyon RA has many...and I do mean lots of trails... and Joe and I will be (the good Lord willing) exploring them all! Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a next door neighbor who grew up here, has family here, and returns here every year to give you suggestions of places to explore too...thanks Randy!



This beautiful bird was amazing! We enjoyed at least 15 minutes of the best roadrunner entertainment EVER...at least for us! According to allaboutbirds.org roadrunners are born to run and can outrace most humans. I sure was glad this guy was taking a break. They can reach two feet from bill to the tip of their tail.








Joe spotted this beauty as we were heading back down the ridge... several people stopped, we all chatted and did the WOW!s. I was determined I would not be the first to leave. He wasn't spooked, that's for sure.
 
He finally jumped off behind the boulder he was on and we continued on our way...with a huge smile, an exuberant feeling that all is good, and anticipation of what kind of pictures we had.
 
The last part of the hike is a wide path that takes you back to the visitor center or parking lot...low and behold...roadrunner #2!
 
Life is good...until next time,

 
enjoy!
 
Up next...our first hike at Sabino Canyon.
 

27 comments:

  1. In all our years I've only seen two road runners and both of them moved much faster than my camera. I love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky you are, and to have that great blue sky background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it Judy...he just sat there and did his thing! I was snapping away as fast as I could!

      Delete
  3. Cool Roadrunner photos. Mine were taken against the desert floor and no color contrast. You your was so good to pose for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he just the coolest bird? It was a thrill for me...

      Delete
  4. How fun!! I loved the pictures, and that last one is especially great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! The last picture looks like the true roadrunner pose! I couldn't believe I got that picture...actually got two pictures before he ran behind the bush.

      Delete
    2. You certainly got some great shots. We've stayed at the Thousand Trails park outside of Palm Springs several times. We always see roadrunners when we stay there. They are resident roadrunners. You can get some pretty good pictures but certainly not as good as the ones you just posted.

      Delete
    3. Thank you...I felt quite honored to be in he audience for that show!

      Delete
  5. Oh, my gosh, Gay, I'm green with envy! I'm always looking for Roadrunners, and it's so hard to get a decent photo when I DO see them. These are absolutely wonderful, you must have been so excited.

    Remember that Mello Mike, http://mellomikeswolfcreekcamper.blogspot.com/, has an annual contest for the best Roadrunner photo - if you aren't already a follower, check out his site and make sure you enter your photos - I think you can enter three. You have a good chance of winning! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. I had forgotten about the contest so thanks for reminding me. It was a thrill for sure to just stand there and watch him.

      Delete
  6. What a lucky day to see these guys...and to have the one hanging out an posing for you was icing on the cake! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa...I had such a fun time and couldn't wait to get home to check if I had any good pictures!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos of the road runners! You sure got some beauties:) Our first sighting was at Cal Expo in Sacramento where we were staying. They ran up and down the roads. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow...we hadn't seen any until yesterday. It's a real treat isn't it Pam?

      Delete
  8. Love spotting these Roadrunners, have seen quite a few over the years and still am excited every time we see one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to more times too George!

      Delete
  9. He sure doesn't look a thing like the roadrunner I watched on Saturday morning cartoons as a kid. A beautiful bird & I can understand your excitement at seeing them. Enjoy your hikes, I'll be hiking right along with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gayle.....I'm just glad we didn't see Wile E. Coyote!

      Delete
  10. First I need to tell you how much I love the header photo of Dover looking so wistful.

    I have never seen a roadrunner but sure would like to. These photos are extraordinary! Your enthusiasm for adventure is contagious. Gotta try some desert hikes one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam...I have always thought Dover was very photogenic. I love taking pictures of her.

      I really think you would love the desert...it is beautiful. We had never seen it before last year and totally fell in love with all its beauty.

      Delete
  11. Gay, what an amazing time this must have been for you to watch this beautiful bird. Beautiful, wonderful shots!!!!

    They are so much fun to watch, if you get the opportunity and you did!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila...it was a real treat. I have enjoyed looking at the pictures again and again!

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed watching all your Road Runner pictures. Love it and great shot! I can relate to your excitement, for when I also saw my first Road Runner, I was literally following it and snapped like crazy.
    Your welcome, Gay and enjoy that hike with a view at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I opened your blog to find a large picture of my great dog I lost in 2003.She was the best ever.RIP. This is my first comment,and I've read hundreds in the last few months. Shook me up. Too weird. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great pictures of your first roadrunner! I've never had one hold still for me

    ReplyDelete