Friday, July 9, 2021

Sonoran Dogs


Corona de Tucson 

July 9, 2021


I'll get the ranting out of the way first.  To say I am totally frustrated with blogger would be an understatement.  I innocently tried to change the Header photo and hours later still can't figure out how to fix it.  I have changed the Header picture too many times to count since beginning this blog in 2012, but now with the changes they made in coding it is next to impossible for someone with little knowledge as to what HTML, HTTP, HTTPS, etc. is to do anything.  Gadgets are locked and the information on codes never match.  So, here I am with no Header !!!  


Joe and I both had dermatologist check-ups this week.  I had a place on the side of my face that was frozen last fall and it came back.  Never a good thing for that to happen.  It was biopsied.  Joe also had a place on his nose that needed checking.  Poor Joe just can't seem to catch a break.  After the exam he looked like one of those dot-to-dot puzzles.  Several spots were frozen and six biopsies were taken.  

He needed three more biopsies done, but six is the limit for one visit.  We both wait for results.  I'm not so worried about me, but I dread it for Joe to have more MOHs surgeries.  I have lost count.   Positive vibes please !


Ever heard of a Sonoran Hot Dog?  Simply put, it is a grilled bacon wrapped hot dog topped with beans, green chile, tomatoes, grilled and raw onions, mustard and mayonnaise.  All of that yummy goodness is stuffed into a split-on-the-top soft and sweet roll called a bolillo (boo-lee-yoh) and served with a roasted pepper.   

Back in May we indulged in one of these savory delights at El Guero Canelo.  

The owner,  Daniel Contreras, began selling Sonoran Dogs from his cart in 1993. 

In 1994, another vendor Benjamin Galaz and his wife started selling their dogs from a cart.  As the story goes,  at one point the two vendors were only a few feet from each other selling dogs in South Tucson. They became friends, but the friendship soured and a rivalry began when they opened their first restaurants across the street from each other (located on 12th Street - known to locals as Eat Street).   Today, Contreras owns three El Guero Canelo restaurants and Galaz owns two BK Carne Asada & Hot Dogs restaurants.  The scrumptious Tucson dog definitely has a following.

So, after the dermatologist and a haircut for me, guess where we headed for lunch.  Yep, BKS for a Sonoran dog and to decide for ourselves which dog is our favorite.

I decided on BKs only because the bacon was crispy. Other than that, we couldn't tell any difference.  But don't ask us.  The Travel Channel's Food Wars visited Tucson in 2010 to settle the battle and El Guero's won. You will just have to decide for yourself !    

 

Most mornings Joe and I are up and out the door by 5:30 for a walk.  Santa Rita Golf Course located in Corona de Tucson opened in 1976.  It was an 18 hole course on approximately 116 acres.  Our home was built in 2004 on a fairway...I don't know which one.  In 2011,  the golf course was put up for sale and never purchased as a golf course.  Over time, different people bought up a few acres for private homes.  As a result, we can enjoy what seems like endless miles of tarmac and desert landscape for walking.  After a bit of research, I found out that Tin Cup, a great movie with Kevin Costner and Rene Russo, was in part filmed here.  Thats pretty cool !  


There are reminders of days gone by here and there, but mostly the desert and its wildlife call it home now and so do we !








We see coyotes from time to time.  




Some morning we just sit and enjoy the show...


   So until next time, enjoy the day and...


 HAPPY TRAILS !

10 comments:

  1. All my positive vibes are coming your way!
    I have to agree that the Blogger interface continues to degenerate. I often think that if only had started with WordPress ...
    I'm anxious to try the Tucson Dog smack down, both look decadent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff! I’ve considered starting a new blog since we aren’t traveling so much now & I quickly dismissed that idea. Oh well...🤪! Just let us know when you & Fran head to Tucson.

      Delete
  2. Those dogs look delicious and I understand your frustration. It seems any time a site is updated to "improve" it just gets worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs are very yummy! So true and it’s so frustrating!

      Delete
  3. I share your frustration with the Blogger changes. Now, I don't know how to go back in and correct an error (spelling or otherwise)once it's published! So, you'll just have to pardon any mistakes you find! It's too late for me to change now, so I'll just throw my hands up and say "Oh well" and "it's good enough"!
    We love those hot dogs, and have a great place (only on Wednesdays) in Wickenburg to get them. Sorry for your dermatologist woes, we're overdue - ugh.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reached that point too Sue. It’s just so disappointing to have written posts, changed photos, and rearranged the layout for all these years. We enjoyed our first Sonoran dog (ever) last May. I’m thinking it will become a monthly treat! 👍😃

      Delete
  4. Oh dear! Sending really positive vibes your way!! Mike sees the dermatologist tomorrow. That's way cool that you have all that area for walking--Sunsites is like that--no golf course any longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janna…no word yet! I don’t handle waiting very well…😬!

      Delete
  5. Thinking of you both and sending lots of positive vibes for good results. Interesting background on the golf course. We love when we have a coyote wander across the hill out back. Beautiful sunrise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! The coyotes pass by often (sometimes 3 or 4 at a time). They always stop and look at us on the patio…we are keeping a close eye on Jack!

      Delete