Thursday, September 8, 2022

Hot and Dry...

September 8, 2022

Corona de Tucson

So remember that lush green oasis I wrote about a week and a half ago?  Well, it's not green anymore.  

















It seems the oasis turned  green overnight and back to brown even quicker.  The only color these days are a few purple asters hanging on for dear life and lots of golden rod.


It has been hot this past week with temps in the mid to high 90s and one day it reached 100.  Next week looks much better with highs in the low 90s...and the best part...lows in the mid to high 60s.  I like the 60s !  We had nothing on the calendar all week and enjoyed a rather lazy, hazy week of summer.  We still enjoy our early morning walks... 





































and coffee time on the patio.




























Today, we headed into town for a 9:15 appointment to get Joe's stitches out.  Afterwards, I wanted to go to Gather:A Vintage Market.  I first posted about Gather last April.  Shortly after that post, the warehouse that housed all the vintage goods was partially destroyed by a fire.  Gather has since moved to a new location...300 S. Park Avenue...and today was opening day.  
















This section of Park Avenue is a small, colorful warehouse shopping district tucked away in a nondescript neighborhood better known as The Lost Barrio.  Locally owned stores feature custom made furniture, home decor (the lamps are beautiful), jewelry, rugs, etc.  It is a perfect place for Gather.  














In hind sight, opening day was not a good choice for a visit.  It was more crowded than our last visit.  We did win a $25.00 gift certificate and after verifying it could be used at a later date, we left empty handed.  We both enjoyed perusing the other stores...they were practically empty. 



Back at the oasis, the cactus wrens continue to be our favorite.

























The Great Horned Owl made a surprise visit one evening.


And the hawk circled once and was on his way.

I had to shoot thru a bush...not a real good photo, but I thought his tail was quite pretty.


So until next time, 






















































Happy Trails !

14 comments:

  1. I am so looking forward to some slightly cooler temps next week. A little rain would be nice too. I love the Halloween containers. So creative. And your owl picture is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Sandie. I had one of those pumpkin cans picked out to buy, but the line to pay was way to long. I’m hoping to return to get one and use our gift certificate. We hear the owls often and it’s always a real treat to see them. Also, please know I read your blog, but for some reason Google will not let me post comments anonymously and will not let me sigh in either.

      Delete
  2. Love the owl!! How sweet that you get these visits. Your hawk photo is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the bush had not been in the way for the hawk photo…isn't he just so beautiful? The owl actually swooped down about 3 feet from my head before landing on the roof. He waited for me to go inside to get the camera so I could take his photo…

      Delete
  3. I met the guys that run Gather and they are the neighbors of friends that we visit in Tucson. They do have a cool store and i think my friend even has some art in the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hans! That’s pretty cool. Everyone who works the floor is so helpful and nice. I really enjoy spending time there and even though crowds are not my thing anymore, I was happy for them to have such an awesome turnout. We will definitely return…I have a gift certificate…👍😉!

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to visit Gather! And can't wait to meet you, Joe and the pooches! You are living the best life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to make it happen this winter Janna. So looking forward to meeting you, Mike and Emmi too. I just know you would enjoy Gather and the surrounding shops.

      Delete
  5. The weather is finally getting cooler here, the next few days the lows are in the 40's! Love that owl picture, that is a treat to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa…I can’t even imagine 40s. That is pretty chilly! Totally agree with you about the owl. We hear them often, but it is a real treat to see them…especially when they pose for photos!

      Delete
  6. I have a feeling that owls like to be adored and looked at! We had an entire family living at our house (unfortunately we didn't get to see them but MonaLiza/Steve kept us in pictures of them) and quietly posed for pictures. The personable little cactus wren's are our favorites too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sue…every time we have seen the owls, they were not the least bit afraid of us or skiddish. I’m thinking the family that was at your house is still close by. We have been listening to/observing a couple here (have never seen babies) for a year or so. I’m betting you will see this fall or winter.

      Delete
  7. It doesn't take long for the green to leach out of that grass, but it's still so pretty. Gather is another place that I must get to when we're back in AZ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jodee…I do love the golden color grasses. You won’t be disappointed in Gather if you like perusing thru old/vintage things. Their new locations is way better than the old one!

      Delete