Saturday, October 1, 2022

A Cooper's Hawk

Corona de Tucson

September 30, 2022















It's just been one of those weeks.  Our only outing was to the doctor for our annual medicare check-up.  It's always nice to get that checked off the list.  It's September and that means a flu shot for each of us and this year we both had a pneumonia shot.  I have never had any ill effects from a flu shot (which I have taken for so many years I can't remember), but this year we got a senior shot...it has an extra dose. It must be new for Medicare because I don't ever remember any one telling me that I was getting a senior shot before...and yes, both Joe and I passed the cognitive test that goes along with the exam.  Anyway, you probably guessed, both our arms swelled at the shot site and were warm to the touch and both of us had headaches that night and the following day.  Maybe it was having taken both shots at the same time...we don't know, but next time I will choose not to do that.  

Sally also had an outing...spa day with Cynthia.  She loves spa day!  What a cutie she is!  A good haircut and bath always lifts her spirit...and adds an extra skip in her step.     


Last Friday as Joe and I were enjoying our coffee on the patio, we had a visitor.  Back in July 2021, a bird that looked exactly like the one that visited on Friday was pictured in the blog.  I didn't make an ID, but guessed it might be a Sharp-Shinned Hawk.  That was incorrect.  We spent more time searching this week and finally found a photo that was a match. 


This handsome bird is an immature Cooper's hawk.  One of the things that threw me off on the first search was the eyes.  Cooper's Hawks are described as having red eyes, yellow legs and feet, and about the size of a crow.  















These raptors typically fly at cruising speeds of 30 to 40 miles per hour.  Hawks are named for their hunting style: they perch on trees or poles and wait for prey to pass by before swooping down in a short arc (at speeds over 60 miles per hour) and grabbing it with their talons. This technique is called "hawking". It often takes less than 10 seconds from the time it first spots its prey until it captures it.  Cooper's Hawks are the third smallest hawk in North America with an average wingspan about 3 feet.
















Cooper's Hawks are the only bird of prey that live in all the 48 contiguous states. They are usually seen perching on telephone poles while hunting for small rodents, squirrels, and gophers.  They are monogamous...sharing food with their partner as well as sharing responsibilities of incubating eggs and feeding nestlings cooperatively.  They will only seek a new mate if one of them dies.  


These incredibly fast birds are diurnal creatures.  They hunt for food in daylight hours and use the heat of the sun to help them see more clearly and identify possible food sources more easily.  It was such a treat to have a Cooper's Hawk visit again.  He returned the next two days and we haven't seen him again. 




















I was happy to see the Flicker again this week. 
And the Cactus Wrens continue their shenanigans.  This week they added tossing the rocks out of the cactus planter to their list of activities.  Silly birds...I planted the cactus and placed it there for them to use as a perch.  That hasn't happened yet.



The Lesser Goldfinch frequent the yard and we see them often at the bird bath.  But we never have more than two at a time at the thistle feeder...patience I guess.  



We have enjoyed several rain showers this week.  One afternoon the thunder and lightening was very close and loud and our electricity went out.  
I love sitting on the patio and watching the storm clouds.




The rains held off long enough to get home...



We only got in a couple of walks this week.  One thing the doctor suggested was for me to carry a backpack with waters (8 pounds) for strength training  (Joe and I haven't been to a gym or lifted weights in over a year.) to help prevent bone loss.  I have known that for many years and it is one reason I walk, and I also know that just walking is not enough.  Trying to be/stay healthy isn't easy ! 







Jack continues to enjoy early morning naps in the sun.












Dover is always close.











And Sally regularly keeps dibs on the backyard.


It's October already.  The early morning temps have dropped a few degrees and I saw some high 50s forecast for the lows at the end of the week.  Maybe next week will be a little more exciting...maybe not !  Life is good and If I could still do cart wheels I would !  

Until next time...















HAPPY TRAILS !

13 comments:

  1. I like it when life is not exciting! Mike had his senior flu shot Wednesday with no ill effects. We are both trying to decide if we want another covid booster. Loved learning about the hawk--lots of hawks sitting on power poles in Cochise county. One day on the way to somewhere I counted 28! Love those pooches of yours--so adorable. That's interesting the doctor suggested a heavy backpack. I've been doing some exercises my physical therapist recommended--I hate exercising--would much rather just walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janna! I have pretty much decided it was the pneumonia shot that caused our headaches and just a yucky feeling. Glad that isn’t a yearly thing! I sure hope you will share your decision on the Covid booster…I feel like I have already had Covid three times! That is a lot of hawks you saw! I don’t mind the exercise, but only if I can get it done first thing in the morning. That way I don’t dread it!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful hawk! We typically don't get the flu shots, no real reason just don't go in to get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim! I bet you see lots of hawks in South Dakota. I started taking a flu shot when I was teaching Kindergarten many years ago. Then we both got them as care givers for Joe’s mom who lived with us for 15 years to keep her from getting the flu. Now we just get them because we are old.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos of the hawk. They are magnificent when they fly over. We have at least one fly-by every day since our neighbor throws seed on the bank. It's easy to catch the hawk because the birds on the bank all scream as they take off to get away. A few seconds later the hawk sails through. I've always worried about bone density and do weight lifting at home. I carried weights and an exercise ball in MH all eight years we full-timed. I built my own routines, and it has really helped. I have a set 5 lb, 8 lb, and 12 lb weights. I enjoy the exercise ball since it helps with balance while exercising. I'm not a gym fan with all the germs. Sally looks so cute after her spa day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam! Is your hawk visitor also a Cooper’s Hawk? I read that that they are actually too small to prey on small pets (like Jack) but they will catch other birds as well as the rodents, etc. Joe and I had a fully equipped home gym when living in the GA house. We have always walked and done the weights together. There was no way to carry the weights he needed in the bus so we did choose to go to the gym during our travels. Being early risers, it was easy to beat the crowds. Sally says thank you! I’m pretty sure she thinks she is adorable too…😉!

      Delete
    2. From my research on the photos was able to capture, we seem to have two different hawks, the Cooper's Hawk and the Kestrel. One day they were flew by chasing each other and the size difference was so obvious. We have seen birds caught twice. Once the hawk grabbed the morning dove and stopped just our wall to enjoy his treat.

      Delete
  4. Your hawk is a photo ham! So many fun poses, nice looking fella. We too have hawks, mostly in the canyons, but our Osprey are the real show as they fish for breakfast.
    Last year I had the flu shot and shingles booster at the same time, but in opposite arms to know which might cause a reaction. Big reaction to the shingles! Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff! Oh how I would love to see the Osprey fishing for breakfast. What a photo shoot that would be! That was smart to have the shots in different arms. We wish we had thought of that…next time!

      Delete
  5. Great hawk photos, I always seem to catch them in the trees and the shots don't come out well. We're heading off for our Covid booster right now. Flu shot in a few weeks or so. I'm not a gambler so I'll take the vaccine. I hate those stupid cognitive tests - the math questions throw me - always did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I love those surprise bird visits! When you get home, I hope you will be able to get photos of those beautiful Great Horned Owls. I’m not a gambler either & will get the Covid booster even though I get sick every single time I got one & still got Covid. I panic about those stupid cognitive tests!

      Delete
  6. Sally looks quite spiffy!! It's wonderful when you have a groomer they like. How lovely to have a hawk visit you - and so pretty with those eyes. This rain has been wonderful - even that crashing thunder we've been getting! I too am happy to see the temps dropping. No 80's in the forecast anymore :-)))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodee…hope all is well with you! Thank you from Sally! We have had several loud thunder storms as well. We still have temps in the low 80s here in Vail, but what is really exciting…the lows are dropping down to the 50s. I can’t believe I find myself looking for long sleeves!

      Delete