Thursday, December 8, 2022

A Foggy Desert Morning

Corona de Tucson

December 8, 2022




 












Last Monday after a weekend of two glorious rainy days, Joe and I headed out to the grocery store.  It isn't far out of the way to visit Saguaro National Park-East.  The sun had been in and out at our house and we packed a backpack before leaving thinking we might get in a short hike before the grocery store.  The closer we got to the park, the foggier it got so we scratched the walk and decided on the eight mile one-way loop "auto hike".  




Cactus Forest Loop Drive curves its way up and down and through the heart of the park.  There are lots of pull-outs making photo stops easy and I am pretty sure we stopped at each and every one.      


The clouds were low...the air was full of droplets...it was so amazing !

















































































































Back at the oasis, it was a rainy week-end.  I was in heaven.  I'm not a big fan of rainy days that just go on and on and on for days and days and days, but a couple of rainy days in the desert is a wonderful thing.  




The desert sure needed the rain and Joe and I found ourselves being completely lazy.  

































Tuesday, I made cookies.  It's the recipe my mom used which is the recipe my grandma used for peanut butter cookies. We switched over to almond butter a few years back. Peanuts are legumes and legumes can cause joint pains.  We both love roasted peanuts and found that eating them...probably way too many...caused our hands to hurt.  Last year I found a recipe for almond butter balls dipped in chocolate.  They were good, but don't compare to peanut butter cookies.  Joe loves chocolate so the cookies got a good dipping in Ghirardelli dark chocolate melting wafers.  

I am pretty sure the cookie snatcher grabbed a cookie when my back was turned...there is one missing in the top right corner.















We still enjoy mid-morning walks...


the beginning of a new day...

I think I see a fluffy tail...















and sunsets.




 











Breakfast has a whole new meaning...












Sally and Dover sleep alot...





























and the birds stay busy.














Life is good at the oasis.  


Until next time,

















 HAPPY TRAILS !

10 comments:

  1. We had rain and fog here in the Valley also. It was wonderful. And looks like we are going to get more.i just can't imagine a peanut butter cookie without peanut butter. But I try not to have them very often. I do like the idea of dipping in chocolate. Glad you guys are doing good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Sandie…I love rainy days in the desert. Winter rains are so different from the summer monsoon rains. I do see rain in the forecast and much cooler temps next week…sounds like a pot of chili might be good! The peanut butter cookies are yummy and even more so dipped in the chocolate. Hope you are doing well…I read your last blog, but can’t sigh in to comment…😩.

      Delete
  2. I like peanuts but don't eat enough of them to cause joint pain--I have enough of that joint pain stuff going on! We too loved the rain--we had friends complaining about the rain and I scolded them--never complain about rain in the desert! :) Love your sunset/barrel cactus lights photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Janna…and thank you. I am pacing myself on the peanut butter cookies and so far so good as my hands don’t hurt. I’m very thankful for the rain here as well…

      Delete
  3. I enjoy a rainy day here and there but....enough already! I know that's an unpopular thing to say here in the desert, I know we need it desperately..... but I've experienced enough rainy days back east to last the rest of my life! What a beautiful bird Gay! What is it, do you know? Those peanut butter cookies look grand, especially the way you've decorated them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, the bird is a male Vermillion Flycatcher. He isn’t a seed eater so we don’t see him often which makes it a real treat when we do. Joe is definitely the chocoholic here so I left me some plain cookies too.

      Delete
  4. Always such great photos! Joe sure knows how to take a foggy/rainy day in stride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff and thank you. Loved, loved the foggy desert auto hike. I had never experienced the desert that way before & the wet, muted colors were beautiful.

      Delete
  5. I love rain and fog in the desert - thanks for sharing your wonderful drive through the park!!! Those cookies look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Jodee…it’s good to hear from you. I’m loving the wet and foggy desert. It takes on a whole new look and makes me happy to see those thirsty cacti all wet. Hoping for lots of wildflowers in a few months!

      Delete