Sunday, September 8, 2024

Patiently Waiting...

Corona de Tucson

September 7, 2024


That's right...two more weeks and it will be officially fall.  I don't know why this year I am especially excited to be putting out scarecrows and pumpkins...I love fall and all the colors that go along with the season.  Not today, but yesterday, the morning air at first light seemed a bit cooler as Sally and I stepped out the door for her first outside for the day.  I think Sally even noticed the difference and how nice the cool fresh air felt. 


It's been one of those busy weeks at our home...my hair is a little shorter than it was last week, Joe doesn't have stitches anymore, and the eye doctor says Joe's eye looks a little better than it did three weeks ago. Joe is still on antibiotics...capsule and drops...and the contact was replaced to protect the cornea.   Of course along with busy weeks comes yummy things to eat.  Tuesday, after my haircut and a little shopping, we had a yummy lunch at Wildflower.  

It was nice enough to sit on the patio for lunch. 


I sure enjoyed my warm lobster and artichoke salad with grilled asparagus, roasted tomatoes, greens and the bestest truffle vinaigrette dressing served with bread and pesto.  Joe chose fish and chips and we shared Bars of Sin for desert. 

After the eye doctor on Thursday, we stopped at Baja for breakfast.    Every time we go to Baja, I order the Liege Waffels...they are sooo yummy.  So, I made myself try something new.  If you like Benedicts, Baja offers 13 different choices...from Classic to Arizona Snake Bites.  I chose the Monsoon Benedict and was not disappointed.  Toasted English Muffin layered with fresh avocado,  smoked bacon, grilled tomatoes, and two poached eggs all topped with house made basil pesto hollandaise, arugula and balsamic glaze.  

I ate every bite!

We enjoyed walks on the cart path and logged in just under 10 miles this week. I have had issues with my heal and finally it is much better.  




Sometimes we cross the street on our way home.  See the row of homes (roofs) way off in the distance on the right side of the picture?  We live on that street much further and out of sight on the right side.  Our home backs up to what was the 10th fairway. 

This is the cart path that meanders behind our home...

Back at the oasis, we completed a project that had been on the back-burner for way too long.  Joe has been the best motivator and friend to encourage me to display some of my photos.   It's no secret I love the birds so I chose a few favorites...some water birds from San Diego and some backyard birds from home.  It was a trial by error sort of project as I began to sort thru pictures and order photos in 8X10 size.  For what I had pictured in my mind, all the photos needed to be vertical and all the frames the same.  I am very happy with the finished display hanging in the foyer.  

It's a lot harder than it looks like getting all these photos in a straight line and evenly spaced......

 



The birds are usually waiting...not so patiently...for food and water when we finish our walk.  I start the coffee and Joe starts the backyard chores. 


Our backyard is really small and I think photos make it look bigger than it really is.   After years and years of Georgia living with an acre lot that was constantly needing attention, we enjoy the size and simplicity of our desert oasis. 






Hail during last Saturdays monsoon storm...








 And our sweet Sally....


Back in North 
Carolina...there has been an out crop of saguaros !

Felix, Edith and their mom and dad enjoying time at Aunt Jill's in NC.

Aunt Jill and Edith...

That's a wrap on our week.  Until next time,


 HAPPY TRAILS!


10 comments:

  1. All good news from your appointments which is good news.
    It's your monsoon season so your Benedict choice was most appropriate. And it looks yummy!
    Joe's wood working skills are so very apparent in the layout of your picture wall. I'd have to use a laser just to be close to his accuracy.
    Do you know the critter hanging on your Firecracker plant. He looks a little beat up.
    Is that the same Rufous Hummingbird that's been hanging around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff….Joe says “thank you”! It took several hours to hang those photos! The yellow critter is a butterfly in the Phoebis family. He is a little ragged around the edges, isn’t he? And no, that’s not the same Rufous Hummingbird that was just here last week. The photo is a picture I took in April 2023 when the Rufous was headed north to Alaska. They are such beautiful birds!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you framed your birds - they look great! So nice to get those appointments out of the way with the reward of tasty eats. Wildflower is such a beautiful spot that always feels like a splurge to me :-) I often wish our yard was smaller, especially when it's weed-eating season like now. Glad most of our 2.5 acres is wild growth beyond our still-too-big fenced area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodee! Thank you. We are both pleased with how the photos turned out. I never am sure when I start those kinds of projects if it will all turn out to look right. The entire morning that Joe worked so hard hanging them I had my fingers crossed! Wildflower is a treat for us too! But I do want to try the Bistro at Tohono Chul too. It’s still on my list. 2.5 acres…oh my what a nice piece of property you have. Weeds is a bad word around our house…and this year they have been especially bad and everywhere with the rain we have had…😬😩!

      Delete
  3. I, too, love the photos and their arrangement. It looks perfect in your sweet home. I think one should take every opportunity to treat oneself, especially after appointments! Liege Waffles, I love them! Tohono Chul cafe is lovely, try it sometime. I hope you're wrong about the weed crop this year. We haven't been home since mid June so I don't even want to think about pulling weeds. Poor Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue! Thank you. And I totally agree about the treating oneself. We will definitely have to meet you and Dave at Baja when you come back to Tucson. It’s nothing fancy, but the waffles are a real treat! We have tried a couple of times to have brunch at The Bistro at Tohono Chul, but it was about a 45 minute wait…it’s definitely on the list! The weeds have kept us busy this summer. We pull them too as we feed the birds and don’t want to use the poison. Joe does use the weed-eater by the cart path. Fingers crossed the heat from the past week or so has killed all the weeds at your house…🤞😉!

      Delete
  4. So glad Joe's eye is better! Your monsoon benedicts look awesome and I am anxious to try Wildflower when we return. I love your photo wall and will say again--you both did a great job! I love your small backyard and am a touch envious especially when I've mowed the grass here in Montana for the umpteenth time! I too love fall and am so ready for cooler temps and rain. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Janna and thank you! I love green grass and so did all our pups, but it is a lot of work. We thought about a patch of grass here, but decided against it to save the water. We were so done with yard work and property responsibilities when moved here! You will like Wildflower…and they do have a burger on the menu for Michael. Enjoy your week…..

      Delete
  5. Love that first photo of Sally, she is such a cutie! Also love all your photos, what a great way to display and admire them! We too cannot wait for fall and all it brings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Jim…and thank you! And Sally says “thank you!” too. I’m thinking the scarecrow is going up this week-end even though it will not be officially fall for another week…😉.

      Delete